Discussion Proposal: Specifications about panels and widgets

Simon Lees sflees at suse.de
Thu Nov 8 10:03:47 UTC 2018

On 07/11/2018 20:23, IFo Hancroft wrote:
> What I am hoping to achieve with this, is widget and panel interoperability.

While this is possibly technically possible it would really require
every desktop rewriting there widgets / panels to use the same modular
plugin system, this would be much more complex given that currently even
basic things like strings are done completely differently between
toolkits it would be huge amounts of extra work with significant
performance decreases, you then also need to look at sandboxing because
a problem enlightenment has found is if your using C modules for this
and one crashes it will tend to crash the whole desktop.

So while this is technically possible I don't see any desktop developers
agreeing then implementing something.