Which version of the XDG Base Directory Specification is canonical?

Phil Ruffwind rf at rufflewind.com
Wed Oct 31 04:50:08 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I'm looking at the XDG Base Directory Specification and it seems there's at least two copies of it in circulation:

* https://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.8.html
* https://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

The first one has "0.8" in the filename, but both versions are marked "0.7" inside the document, which is rather confusing.

The only substantial difference is in this statement:

> All paths set in these environment variables must be absolute. If an implementation encounters a relative path in any of these variables it should consider the path invalid and ignore it.

It is present in "0.8.html" but absent in "latest.html".  Would someone be able to clarify which one is canonical?

Thank you,
Phil