no feedback, no progress. The desktop is dead. was: Directory Index File Spec

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:08:29 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 11:30, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de>
wrote:

> no feedback, no progress. I think the desktop is dead.

You seem to have a bit of a misunderstanding about the role of
freedesktop.org. Fd.o is not a place where specifications are discussed in
a vacuum, or mandated to projects; it's actually the other way around: it's
a place of collaboration for implementations that already exist.

The typical process is to have an implementation of some functionality in a
desktop environment; you then publish it so that other environments can
access it, and if you incorporate changes to make other people's
implementation possible, easier, or more efficient, then you formalise the
specification.

You don't start from a generic specification, and you definitely don't say
"I'd like to see this implemented". You actually have to do the work of
implementing things.

It's understandable that you don't know the process: I don't see it
published explicitly anywhere on fd.o; nevertheless, you could look at the
archives of this list, and see what happened with other specifications and
efforts over time.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--