Some issues with the basedir spec

Manlio Perillo manlio.perillo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 11:35:36 UTC 2019

Hi.

I'm implementing the XDG Base Directory Specification, and found some issues.

The first issue is with
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html.
It should be the "latest" specification but it points to
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.7.html,
that does not contain the commit
https://github.com/freedesktop/xdg-specs/commit/7e295cc94ad55b07c89fc87fb9b2d01a69788c4b.

The second issue is with
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.8.html
The version specified in that document is not 0.8 but 0.7, since
version 0.8 has not been released yet.
I suggest to officially release a new 0.8 version.

The third issue is the lack of a Change log, and the missing older versions.
On the git repository the oldest version is 0.5, but on the web site
the oldest is only 0.6.

The fourth issue is the missing clarifications about XDG_DATA_HOME.
The definition of XDG_DATA_DIRS hints that in that directory should be
stored immutable files (assets), but this is not explicitly clarified.
I have seen applications that store both mutable and immutable files
to XDG_DATA_HOME, and applications that stores mutable data files to
XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

The fifth issue is about caching.
Is an application (or a package/library that will be used by an
application) allowed to cache the base directories computed by the
functions that implement the specification?

In my implementation (a Go package) I do not cache the computed values.
This seems the correct thing to do for a package, and it also make
testing easier.

Thanks
Manlio Perillo