License recommendation for specs

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Jan 2 14:20:10 UTC 2019

Hi Egmont,

I don't think it's important to use licensing to prevent incompatible
versions of the specification. Compatibility is important, but it's
ensured by having a single place which everyone agrees is the canonical
version of the specification. Many specifications are also usefully
amended and updated in later versions, to clarify details or add extra
capabilities - this could be harder if the license forbids modifications
and the original author is no longer actively involved.
If there's any doubt on whether an implementation is a derivative work
of the specification, I think it would be best to add a note that
implementations are not meant to be bound by license conditions on the
specification. But I'd favour using a simple permissive license for the
specification in the first place.
Best wishes,
Thomas