xdg-basedir for secrets

Bardot Jérôme bardot.jerome at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:19:25 UTC 2019

Le 06/06/2019 à 23:15, Jonas DOREL a écrit :
> Hi,

hi
> Currently, most secrets (SSH Keys, GPG Keys, OAuth token) seems to be
> located in XDG_CONFIG_HOME.
And they should not, secrets are data not config. (for me)

> However I think one of the interests of the XDG basedir specification is
> to facilitate the management of those different files (backup,
> publication, mount, ...) because of the different policies applying to
> those files.
For me as far as possible all /home data should have an as strict as
possible policy.

> But it don't think secrets should be handled the same way as
> configuration. What do you think about adding XDG_KEYS_HOME (maybe
> .secrets or .local/secrets) and XDG_KEYS_DIR ?

If we start to manage things by there purpose (and we should (my point
of view)) some others concern will be.

if i do it for my emails, or my calendars, or my bookmark we need a
strict policy behaviours.

Which program can access at what. And what about the storage
(xml/txt/maildir/vbox etc).

For me storage should be program agnostic. (the same data should be use
by the user prefered software)

but my last email about that not look really welcome.

I m not part of anything so it’s maybe for that but i’m glad to see I m
not alone with this kind of ideas.

> Jonas DOREL

jerome

sry for my bad english