Reclassify Icon= in .desktop files as string, not localestring

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Wed Jun 26 09:38:06 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 10:10 +0200, Egmont Koblinger wrote:
> If someone does an exhaustive search, e.g. examines all the .desktop
> files of Debian and Fedora packages, plus tons of 3rd party ones
> (skype, vmware, steam games, etc.), and concludes that localized Icon
> is so extremely rare and unimportant in those cases that is okay to
> remove its translatability with no intent of providing a workaround,
> don't mind.

Those are the uses in Debian:
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=Icon%5C%5B%5B%5B%3Aalpha%3A%5D%5D%2B%5C%5D%3D

Most of those are translations that don't need to exist:
https://sources.debian.org/src/knewstuff/5.54.0-2/data/kmoretools-desktopfiles/org.gnome.clocks.desktop/?hl=263#L225
https://sources.debian.org/src/calamares/3.2.4-4/calamares.desktop/?hl=177#L177

Actual bugs where a translator translated the icon name (in fact, most
of razorqt's entries are broken):
https://sources.debian.org/src/razorqt/0.5.2-4/razorqt-config/src/translations/razor-config_gl.desktop/?hl=19#L19
https://sources.debian.org/src/razorqt/0.5.2-4/razorqt-config/src/translations/razor-config_ru.desktop/?hl=19#L19
https://sources.debian.org/src/qt5ct/0.37-1/src/qt5ct/desktop-translations/qt5ct_cs.desktop.in/?hl=37#L37

Spec that will need updating:
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=Icon%5C%5B%5B%5B%3Aalpha%3A%5D%5D%2B%5C%5D%3D+package%3A%5CQkde4libs%5CE

So it's fair to say that nobody uses it correctly, and then barely
anyone uses it. At this point, I think the onus would be on you to show
that it's useful, if you wanted to keep it despite the problems it
causes translators.

Let's remove it.