Directory Index File Spec

Thomas Güttler Lists guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Mar 22 07:14:33 UTC 2019

I  have a dream and wrote it down as spec:

https://github.com/guettli/directory-index-file-spec/blob/master/README.md

Feedback is welcome

  directory-index-file-spec

    <https://github.com/guettli/directory-index-file-spec/blob/master/README.md#intro>

    Intro

This spec describes a simple way to give a directory an index file. This
index file can be used to create a preview of this directory.

It can be used for a preview if you use a cloud storage like nextcloud
or seafile. Or it can be used as preview on the desktop.

    <https://github.com/guettli/directory-index-file-spec/blob/master/README.md#supported-formats>

    Supported formats

The index file can have one of these names:

  * index.html
  * index.txt
  * index.md

The file ending has this meaning:

  * html: HTML file
  * txt: utf8 text file
  * md: Markdown markup language

    <https://github.com/guettli/directory-index-file-spec/blob/master/README.md#support-in-full-text-search>

    Support in full text search

If the system which contains a directory "foo-dir" with an index-file
"index.X" (X can be one of the supported endings) does provide a full
text search, then the text in the index file should be indexed. If a
search term matches a term in the index-file, then the match should mean
'you have found directory "foo-dir"' and not "you have found the file
index.X".

The content of the index file should be rendered above the other files
in this directory.

    <https://github.com/guettli/directory-index-file-spec/blob/master/README.md#hashtag-support>

    #hashtag support

Words in this file which start with the hashtag sign (#) should be
treated like hashtags.

Hashtags should be rendered and act like hyperlinks. If a user clicks on
a hashtag, the user should be able to see the other index files which
have this hashtag.

    <https://github.com/guettli/directory-index-file-spec/blob/master/README.md#example-usecase>

    Example usecase

UseCase: A user stores his images in a directory tree according to this
format: YYYY/YYYY-MM/YYYY-MM-DD/ (Y means year, M means month, D means day)

A concrete index file could be: 2018/2018-12/2018-12-31/index.txt

The content of this could could be:

|Celebrating new year with #Peter and #Mary. |

There is an other index file like this:
2019/2019-02/2019-02-03/index.txt with this content:

|Cooking with #Peter |

The user interface should provide a simple way to navigate through the
files which have the same hashtag.

In this example both files have the hashtag #Peter.

    <https://github.com/guettli/directory-index-file-spec/blob/master/README.md#where-i-would-like-to-see-this-implemented>

    Where I would like to see this implemented

I would like to see this implemented in my favorite tools:

  * GNOME Desktop Environment
  * Nextcloud: open file hosting

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/