RFC: deprecating crypto usage in secret-service

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Aug 24 09:10:01 UTC 2020

It's not clear to me that using file descriptors fulfils the same goal as the encryption mechanism. The secret service spec [1] suggests that the goal is for swappable memory to contain encrypted (rather than plaintext) secrets. Passing the secret over a separate channel wouldn't seem to do that - though I guess there would be one fewer copy of the data, as the bus daemon doesn't see it.

Approaching it from another angle, what threat would this protect against which could otherwise steal data from D-Bus over unix sockets? I think it would have to be something which can listen to another connection but not connect itself, but I don't know of a scenario where that's possible.

Passing file descriptors is only possible over Unix sockets, as far as I know, so it wouldn't be usable on Windows, though I don't know how big a concern that is.

Thomas

[1] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/secret-service/latest/ch07.html