Taking over xdg-utils

Piotr Karbowski piotr.karbowski at protonmail.ch
Tue Aug 25 15:47:07 UTC 2020

On 25/08/2020 16.54, David Edmundson wrote:
>  >Project looks kind of abandoned and I'd like to pick it up, is there
> anyone who can pass the access to repository?
>
> If you want to pick a project up, don't keep asking for permission. I would
> start by reviewing everyone else's patches that are already there and other such
> tasks being proactive. You don't need access to do that.

And how do you see that going? Like, go and review pending merge
requests, ack them or suggest changes and then... wait with a hope that
someone with access will actually notice it and grant the access so I
can actually merge them? Using this logic, my own merge request is
reviewed by myself, is very simple and sits there for over a year
already, not a great motivation to go and review something that no one
is going to merge.

If there was anyone in the first place who would be willing to do
anything with the merge requests after they were reviewed, they would
already have done it.

Out of frustration I already started rewrite of xdg-utils keeping it's
interface, in pure Python3, targeting >= 3.7, starting from xdg-open,
then will switch to another tool. Will be dropping it on github later,
once at least some UT are written.

-- Piotr.