Standardisation of cgroup usage for user applications

David Edmundson davidedmundson at kde.org
Tue Aug 25 16:02:54 UTC 2020

Recently there has been work on a specification to consistently group
userspace application processes together through cgroups and make sure we
all use the same naming conventions for services and slices.

Given there is realistically only one cgroup controller out there with user
access the current discussions have been happening on systemd, with a draft
specification here: https://systemd.io/DESKTOP_ENVIRONMENTS/

This email is meant purely as a heads-up that we're having an ongoing
discussion about something that is cross-desktop which participants on this
mailing list might not be aware of. Long term we can look at hotlinking or
moving the specification onto specifications.freedesktop.org when it enters
a stable state.

In short the idea is that every time we open a new graphical application it
gets put into a new cgroup. This can improve resource distribution
fairness, OOM handling, as well as making life easier and more correct for
task managers and system monitors and alike. More information on the
motivations can be found at my blog [1] or Benjamin Berg's Guadec talk [2].

Most applications won't need to change anything, but programs that launch
other applications will need to be using relevant API. [3].

[1]
http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/modern-process-management-on-the-desktop/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYCM3S_YEY
[3] https://invent.kde.org/snippets/1111