Notification quick reply DBus API

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Wed Feb 5 15:12:54 UTC 2020

Hi,

 > Right, I imagine just
 >
 > "quick-reply": 1

You mean I add an "inline-reply" action with an appropriate label and
then add this hint which then tells it to actually really make it an
inline reply?

 > Actually no you don't, unsupported hints are just ignored. Not sure
anyone has ever made use of the category hint but nothing explodes when
you specify it

In your hints case, yes.

 > Except you've now had to sniff the server before sending the
notification otherwise the server will happily present a broken action

Everybody does that anyway.

 > Well if you where using using inline/quick replies you would be
expecting a inline-reply::* invocation (though this would possibly
require $notifyclient to do work to support it)

Sure, you'd have to update your app either way, so changing action
handling or adding a new handler doesn't really make a difference, does it?

Ok, so, to sum up, an app should:

* Add an action named inline-reply like normal.
* Add a hint "inline-reply: true" which will tell the server to treat
this action special
* If the server doesn't support it, it will just invoke it as a regular
action
* If the server supports it, it will invoke it as "inline-reply::Reply
text goes here" which the app will then have to fish out the text, which
it will do since it was explicitly coded to send this hint?

Sounds good.

Cheers
Kai Uwe