Cleaning of $XDG_CACHE_HOME and $XDG_CACHE_HOME/thumbnails

Benjamin Berg benjamin at sipsolutions.net
Wed Feb 26 14:24:47 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 15:14 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Flatpak'ed applications also use a different cache directory, like:
> $ export | grep CACHE
> declare -x XDG_CACHE_HOME="/home/hadess/.var/app/<app-id>/cache"
>
> I'd say that it might better left well alone, and have something like
> Baobab better signal what each directory is/which application it
> belongs to, to clean it up.

This specification change would only affect the $XDG_CACHE_HOME as set
at login time by pam_systemd (i.e. ~/.cache).

So in principle, Flatpak'ed applications are not affected at all.
However, the logical extension of this proposal would be that
appropriate configurations are shipped inside each Flatpak. Then we
also have a cleanup mechanism there that does not depend on the
application to be run regularly.

I had not thought about that yet. I could imagine Flatpak collecting
the information and doing the simple re-write and dropping it into
~/.config/tmpfiles.d or $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/tmpfiles.d at login time. And
Flatpak itself could again ship a default to clean .var/app/*/cache by
default.

Benjamin