How to configure KDE to bring application icons in user Desktop

Kailassingh Patil kailassingh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 13:43:57 UTC 2020

Hello,

Please help me to configure KDE environment as explained below:

My Linux Desktop currently has no application icons.
I want to create few application icons in Desktop and set an organization
wallpaper.
I am trying to set up configurations in a shared location so that any user
logs in on any hosts should see the same app icons and wallpaper. (For
runlevel 5 and in VNC sessions)

I have setup XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS. I can see the apps in Menu
but I cannot see icons on Desktop. I am not sure that is going wrong here.

Please also help on setting up wallpaper using XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and
XDG_DATA_DIRS variables.

Distro: CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core) and onwards

KDE Version: KDE4

host1:/home/user1> env |grep XDG

XDG_SESSION_ID=6200

XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/global_conf/env/default/kde4/xdg:/global_conf/env/kde4/xdg:/etc/xdg

XDG_DATA_DIRS=/global_conf/env/default/kde4/share:
/global_conf/env/kde4/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share

Thanks

Kailas