XDG Default Applications specification proposal

David Edmundson davidedmundson at kde.org
Fri Jul 10 09:08:18 UTC 2020

Within KDE we have a GUI for choosing default web browser, file manager,
email client and terminal emulator separately from mime types.

3 of those are done with URL handlers, but then we hit the same issue with
terminal and end up with an effectively bespoke config entry.

So I do think that's a worthwhile goal to try and solve.

With respect to the proposal:

I don't like the idea of duplicating configuration for the options where
it's already solved with mimetypes. If we have two "sources of truth" for
the same thing, it can get complicated quickly.

There's an idea in the annex "Use a new mime type (ex: x-default-handler/*)
instead of a new list". Can you expand on why you didn't pursue that
approach?  It seems a lot easier to adopt.

David