XDG Default Applications specification proposal

Marc Boocha marcboocha at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:34:24 UTC 2020

On Friday, 17 July, 2020 9:51:32 AM IST Thayne wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 3:28 AM Marc Boocha <marcboocha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > May be a dbus api?
> > Already xdg utils has to wrap alot of programs. We really sort that one
> > too.
> What would such a dbus API look like?

Well I think it should be portal but lets assume for sake of discussion let
assume org.freedesktop.apps for the time being.

All default apps have org.freedesktop.apps.spawn method which spawns the
default apps

In some cases when apps could also could now have special methods like tab to
open a new tab

For default apps:
Terminal
File browser(easily called without args)
Web browser(BROWSER env var)
Email client(xdg-email exist, to replace that)
Text editor(Basically EDITOR env varible. Also too generic in use case to
actualy set to a mimetype)

Also I will like xdg-screensaver, xdg-open, xdg-mime and xdg-settings with a
dbus apis as probing DEs in shell are just to fragile

Regards
Marc