XDG Default Applications specification proposal

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 19:14:45 UTC 2020

On Friday, 31 July 2020 09:20:46 PDT elektra at markus-raab.org wrote:
> > I could say: without GLib becoming a dependency, GLib will fail on the
> > requirement to be available in every distro. Does that mean Qt/KDE
> > developers should be willing to accept XDG specifications that are
> > written in terms of linking to GLib, and using GSettings or GVfs or
> > something?
> > (This seems unlikely to happen; Qt/KDE developers have had the opportunity
> > to depend on GLib for literally decades, and have not done so, despite the
> > amount of code they could stop needing to maintain by doing so.)
>
> On my system, KDE applications link against GLib. But this is not where
> I wanted to go with the discussion nor I have expertise to recommend
> anything about that.

Going off-topic for this thread:

Because QtCore can optionally use glib for driving the event loop, which is
required for when the application wants to use GMainLoop for something. It's a
cost paid so that some applications can benefit.

But other parts of GLib can't be used. For example, GSettings and DConf aren't
useful, since they can't read QSettings file formats. For another, GSpawn has
a flawed design so it is utterly forbidden in any Qt-based application using
QProcess (this includes used by libraries you linked to).