Notification quick reply DBus API

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Wed Mar 11 01:26:00 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 20:20, Zander Brown <zbrown at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-03-10 at 14:49 +0100, Florian Müllner wrote:
>>
>>  2. I'd like to involve the xdg-desktop-portal people in the
>> discussion,
>>  as they provide a frontend to the notification spec[0]
>
> Hmm, on one hand they actually support action parameters which we're
> faking
>
> But they don't support arbitrary hints so we'd be reliant on a magic
> action
> name

No, the portal API represents notifications as a{sv}, so you can add a
new element like "entry" ("entries"?).

Which can itself use a{sv}, so it can include a mandatory action name
and optional hint-text.

What is missing is an equivalent of GetCapabilities(), so not sure how
to best indicate/handle missing support from the server.

Maybe it's safe to assume that an implementation does something sane if
an action appears both as entry and button, then the app can
differentiate the two by the action parameter.

Cheers,
Florian