improve PRIMARY buffer copy-paste behaviour, paste over

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 12 06:06:53 UTC 2020

On Friday, 6 March 2020 03:26:08 PDT Johannes Thrän wrote:
> It does not work because most of the clients:
>
> a, immediately update the PRIMARY buffer when the selection changes, so
> it's gone in step 2.
>
> b, or not replace the selected text with the primary buffer, but paste
> at the cursor (or somewhere, literally)
>

> So I propose:
>
> - instead of a, we only update the PRIMARY buffer, when the selection is
> finished.

Ah, I see. That makes a lot of sense. You want to trigger the paste-the-
PRIMARY while selecting (with the mouse) the text to be overwritten and you
suggest doing that by never letting go of the left button that is being used
to make that selection in the first place.

It can probably be implemented reasonably easily. It won't be a very
discoverable feature, though, so is it worth it?