A standard for global/desktop environment shortcuts to prevent conflicts with Linux apps

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at gmail.com
Wed May 6 21:37:23 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, May 06, 2020 03:41:16 PM Noah Davis wrote:
> Hello, KDE is currently trying to standardize on reserving the
> Meta/Super/Start/Command key for global/desktop environment shortcuts.
> It seems to me that it would be in the interest of every desktop
> environment to standardize on this in order to prevent global/shell
> shortcuts from conflicting with Linux apps. For instance, Alt + Left
> Click is an old shortcut for dragging windows around that is still
> used by KWin, but it conflicts with Blender, GIMP, Inkscape and Krita.
> Many creative workflow apps need modifier+mouse button shortcuts to be
> fast and easy to use and apps generally avoid using Meta/Super
> already.
>
> Any thoughts?

Of course!  ;-)

It would help me to know which key(s) you're talking about on a "standard"
(Dos / Windows?) 104-key keyboard (well, I didn't count them, but I'm pretty
sure it's 104 keys.

The bottom row of my keyboard (the row with the spacebar in it) has keys from
left to right:

win* is a key with no letters but what looks like the Windows logo

command* is a key with no letters but a logo that might be intended to depict
a menu

Which key(s) are you talking about, and what is the (your?) preferred name (or
set of names) for that (those) key(s)?

Thanks!