Thumbnails: add HiDpi folders

Méven meven29 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 06:45:20 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have been working on adding support for HiDpi thumbnails in KDE
frameworks. [1]

So I'd like to take the high road and update the specification [2]

The crust of my specification update proposal is as follows :

Thumbnails generated with high-dpi (usually using a scale factor of 2)
should be stored in folder using a suffix a @<scale-factor as int>x suffix,
i.e :

$XDG_CACHE_HOME/thumbnails/large at 2x contains up to 512x512 thumbnails with
a scale factor of 2
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/thumbnails/normal at 2x contains up to 256x256 thumbnails with
a scale factor of 2

An additional attribute Thumb::DevicePixelRatio might be added to store the
actual scale factor (as an int).

The @2x suffix is already used in breeze-icons to symbolize 2x scale ratio
resources. [3]

Once I have some traction with the proposal I will submit a merge request
[4].

[1]: https://phabricator.kde.org/D29397
[2]:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/thumbnail-spec/thumbnail-spec-latest.html