Specifying sensible device types to use an application on in the desktop file

piegames piegames at darmstadt.ccc.de
Fri Oct 9 15:08:10 UTC 2020

So the main motivation for this is to *hide elements* from the menu? As
in, if I unplug the keyboard I cannot find some apps in the launcher
any more? That sounds arbitrary and frustrating IMO. But I don't really
understand the point of this feature. What will it bring to the users?

To compare: the "OnlyShowIn" has the use case because you might have
DE-specific applications where each DE provides its own. You won't
really need GNOME help when under KDE etc. Applying that use case to
your proposal would mean that there are multiple applications that do
the same thing, but optimized for different devices/inputs. At that
point it makes more sense to me to simply support as much as possible
within a single application (Gnome apps are doing an increasingly good
job at this thanks to libhandy, for example).

Regards,
piegames