Notification quick reply DBus API

Mark Watts watts.mark2015 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 03:30:23 UTC 2020

David,

Thanks for your reply. Allow me to revise and reframe.

What I'm talking about with a "quick reply" interface is a parallel
spec, for, say, org.freedesktop.QuickReply D-Bus interface. I'm
looking at this more from the perspective of "how could this grow?" I
suggested some of that in my last email, but I'm thinking "quick
reply" might come to support rich text, emojis, canned responses, etc.
I think that can and should be a common interface, but I don't think
that needs to be included in the notification spec. What a separate
interface allows for is that if a user has some other way they want to
support a quick reply, they can do that, or if the notification system
supports quick reply, they can do that too. The notification system
can *also* implement "quick reply" which interface we can write up so
that a "quick reply request" has enough info for the notification
system to correlate and combine into one notification item
interaction; however, for me over here with my cool little app that
can translate markdown to format X, I can define my own "quick reply"
implementation that uses my interface, own that interface on the bus
so the notification system suppresses its own quick-reply interface,
and still have the notification system I like and the quick reply
interface I like.

I'm interested in your requirement to "have one code path and have it
handled implicitly": I don't quite understand what that means.

--
Cheers,

Mark W.