[basedir-spec] XDG_DATA_HOME and reboot-preserved read-write state?

piegames piegames at darmstadt.ccc.de
Sun Feb 7 18:02:31 UTC 2021

Hi

> I don't see that in the spec, I just re-checked.  What makes you
> think
> it's read-write, more than write-once?  what part/sentences of the
> spec are your source on that?

Well, the spec states "There is a single base directory relative to
which user-specific data files should be written. This directory is
defined by the environment variable $XDG_DATA_HOME." I've never heard
of something being write-once in this context. What would that be and
what for? Either you have the write permission or you don't and if you
have it's up to you what and how often you write.

> e.g. when XDG_DATA_HOME just contains regular /usr/share
> like content that is shipped by the upstream application

I think you are misunderstanding the specification. Why should
XDG_DATA_HOME contain this data? Everything that is shipped by the
distribution is already available in the XDG_DATA_DIRS, that's what
they are for. Only relevant data shall be put into XDG_DATA_HOME.

> What does it take to get a new version of basedir-spec released in
> general — is that documented somewhere?

Great question. I've opened
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/-/issues/70 but I think
the more correct way would be to discuss this in a new thread on this
mailing list.

Regards,
piegames