New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Thu Feb 18 11:32:03 UTC 2021

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 19:22:35 +0100, Jan Tojnar wrote:
> For example, to edit a screenshot file in Pictures directory. In Nautilus, I
> currently have to click “open with other application” and then find GIMP in
> the dialogue. I just do not bother and drag the file on manually started
> instance of GIMP instead.
>
> I imagine that if the MIME types in desktop files were annotated with
> intent, Nautilus could run the mime-apps-spec algorithm [1] twice, filtering
> for “view” intent one time and “edit” intent the second time, and it could
> show edit action in the context menu if they differ.

Prior art: in mailcap(5), which is how MIME handling was done before
.desktop files (and sometimes still is), there are separate verbs for
view (the default), edit, print and compose.

https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/mailcap/mailcap.5.en.html
https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/mailcap/run-mailcap.1.en.html

    smcv