New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 3 09:58:54 UTC 2021

On jeudi 18 février 2021 03:17:45 CEST Eli Schwartz wrote:
> On 2/17/21 5:52 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The order for mime-types with no defaults has nothing to do with a
> > "shared database", it's implementation specific, as it's not codified
> > in the mime specs. GLib probably behaves differently than Qt does,
> > which means that the file managers using either of those are likely to
> > behave differently.
>
> Qt's native support for opening files in accordance with XDG is to
> invoke /usr/bin/xdg-open.

The actual code for choosing preferred applications for a mimetype, in the Qt/
KDE world, isn't in Qt, but in KDE Frameworks (KService).

I'm late to this thread, but before we talk about adding even more complexity
to the solution of choosing an app for a mimetype, I'd like to understand why
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mime-apps-spec/latest/
doesn't solve the issue. If the distro's mimeapps.lst says
image/jpeg=gwenview.desktop;gimp.desktop;
then JPEG files will be opened in gwenview (if installed) rather than in GIMP,

PS: the above link points to an out of date version of the spec, does anyone
know how to fix the setup so that the mapping from web-export/specs.idx
actually ends up on the website?
Has this been updated with the move to gitlab?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5