Proposal for an intent-apps spec

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu May 6 12:25:47 UTC 2021

On jeudi 6 mai 2021 12:27:21 CEST Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> Better, but I think it still implies that reading all intentapps.list files
> is sufficient to find all implementations of a given intent. I would say
> something like:
>
> "It's also possible to put several implementations of an intent in order of
> preference by reading all intentapps.list files in the order above. But
> these files cannot be used to find all implementations of an intent; the
> desktop files are the canonical source of that information."

OK, I'll use that, I'll just replace "But" with "Remember however that", since
IMHO "But" sounds a bit too much like there's a flaw in the spec, while this
is perfectly normal and expected.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/-/merge_requests/45 updated.

> > > It would be possible to build a cache like mimeinfo.cache, but that's a
> > > separate concern from selecting the preferred application.
> >
> > And that can be implementation-specific (in KDE we already have such a
> > cache, called ksycoca, and IIRC mimeinfo.cache is glib-specific). There
> > are benefits to sharing caches, but let's not make that a requirement at
> > this point :-)
>
> I think mimeinfo.cache is meant to be shared - it's created by a standalone
> update-desktop-database command which is maintained under xdg
> (desktop-file-utils repo).

It's not however part of a spec (AFAIK), and KDE has a pre-existing binary
cache.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5