Proposal for an intent-apps spec

Thayne McCombs astrothayne at gmail.com
Fri May 7 06:14:47 UTC 2021

On 5/3/21 4:13 AM, David Faure wrote:
> On lundi 3 mai 2021 12:04:30 CEST Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> On Mon, 2021-05-03 at 11:44 +0200, David Faure wrote:
>> This still doesn't fix the problem of knowing _how_ to launch
>> applications in those terminals when the options are different, and
>> expect different values, which was the problem in the first place.
> This is handled by the DBus interface.
>
> It's not
> * lookup desktop file from intent
> * execute the Exec line of that desktop file, which will be like xterm -e..
>
> It's
> * lookup desktop file from intent
> * start that process
> * make a DBus call to it

1. Where is the DBus interface for launching the terminal defined? It
isn't in this spec, is it part of a different spec?

2. For terminals that don't natively support DBus (xterm, alacritty, st,
urxvt, etc.) would you then need a seperate desktop file for a wrapper
that launched it with dbus (ideally I'd like to see a generic wrapper
that could work with most/all terminals by passing in options when
starting it).

And if the result is just launching a DBus interface, how is this
different than the existing DBus service mechanism (defining a service
in <data-dir>/dbus-1/services for  a specific interface)?