$XDG_OPEN (Re: New `MimeType` fields in .desktop)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat May 8 08:48:48 UTC 2021

On mercredi 5 mai 2021 19:16:34 CEST Stefan Blachmann wrote:
> I have looked at the xdg-open script.
>
> I'd like best if I could just set an environment variable XDG_OPEN to
> another program.
> So xdg-open just passes through to my script.

This makes sense. In theory all implementations called by xdg-open implement
the same spec, but not the "desktop-specific fallbacks". So it makes
sense to redirect to your own implementation in other desktop environments.

> So I kindly ask, could there be added such an environment variable
> XDG_OPEN specifying an alternative handler, to allow non-mainstream
> DE/WMs handle the open dialog themselves?

Make a merge request for https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/

Working on KDE Frameworks 5