XDG_CONFIG_DIRS an /usr/local/etc/xdg

Elsie Hupp xdg at elsiehupp.com
Mon Sep 20 22:14:49 UTC 2021

> I find it intriguing that you insult people
> right back by calling an *extremely* common convention in technical
> mailing lists, a "dusty cultural artifact" and suggesting that it is
> malicious behavior.

I’ve been using email for 25+ years. (I have people twice my age and people half my age find my technical generation incomprehensible.) Blockquotes have always been annoying and awful, but they had stopped being a constant thorn in my side until I joined this mailing list. They don’t even seem to be a problem on other mailman mailing lists I’m on.

> a “dusty cultural artifact”

Yes, this is a thing called “shade”.

> I am sure we are all delighted to know that disagreeing over mailing
> list etiquette "with intent to make smartphones do worse rendering of
> the messages" is the point at which you believe it is necessary to
> summon the code of conduct committee in order to report
> passive-aggressive condescension.

Oh, the problem was that that dude took credit for the technical issue and declared it to be righteous and true, all while complaining about a standard nearly as old as the RFC he cited. The irony on top of the irony is that the mangled blockquotes don’t even seem to be his doing; mailman seems to be the one making them terrible for everyone involved.

I CC’d the conduct committee so that he wouldn’t respond to me directly. Obviously. Hence the “gently encouraging”. Conduct committees are there for the purpose of dealing with people you don’t want to deal with yourself, even if nobody has really done anything wrong.

This was the third or fourth response where he had been lecturing me personally over nothing at all. Also for some reason John’s responses kept ending up in my spam mailbox, so I had gotten six or so green-ink emails in a row with nothing apparently in between them, and I was kind of suspicious this guy wasn’t going to stop on his own.