EWMH 1.6 with frame synchronization?

Po Lu luangruo at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 07:18:36 UTC 2022

Po Lu <luangruo at yahoo.com> writes:

> Owen Taylor has a frame synchronization protocol for compositing
> managers: https://fishsoup.net/misc/wm-spec-synchronization.html.
>
> It is currently only supported by Mutter and cannot be found outside his
> blog.  Present does not quite work for this purpose, as the "present
> redirection" code was never finalized.  Is anyone interested in
> releasing a new version of the wm-spec with the frame synchronization
> protocol?  I'd be more comfortable writing code to use it, and maybe
> implementing it in more compositors, if it was specified in the actual
> wm-spec.
>
> Thanks.

One clarification in the protocol I'd like to see is for the behavior
when the X server time overflows to be clarified.  Right now, Mutter
simply uses the X server time to generate the millisecond part of
high-precision timestamps when the overflow happens, so that is what X
clients expect.  I think the protocol should be clarified along those
lines as well.