EWMH 1.6 with frame synchronization?

Po Lu luangruo at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 10:26:40 UTC 2022

Jonas Ådahl <jadahl at gmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps open a merge request adding it to
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/-/blob/master/wm-spec/wm-spec.xml,
> but you should probably familiarize with what happened the last time it
> was attempted, which was in 2011:
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2011-October/msg00006.html

AFAICT from that discussion, the effort just fizzled out.  The main/only
problem with the approach you outlined is that I don't have a
gitlab.freedesktop.org account, and the lawyers at my organization are
not keen to let me get one.

If I were to add the clarifications to the monotonic clock handling and
send you a patch to wm-spec.xml, could you please open a merge request
on my behalf?

> But you can just as well go and implement it anyway, if you need this
> kind of frame synchronization on X11; it's unrealistic that adding it to
> wm-spec.xml would mean any changes were to be made to it anyway.

It'd really be easier for me to work on this if it were in the wm-spec.
That way, I could point and say "that's a standard!", instead of "that's
floating somewhere in a bowl of fish soup!"

Thanks.