XDG critical grammar issue

Bollinger, John John.Bollinger at STJUDE.ORG
Mon Jun 24 13:51:41 UTC 2024

It's well and good to desire more customization options for users, but that's still not an XDG issue.  Rather:

  *
it is within the power and scope of responsibility of each desktop project (GNOME, for example) to provide a way for users to opt for window titles, menu items, etc. to be presented in differently-cased form than is read from .desktop files, if the project should choose to do so.
  *
it is within the power and scope of responsibility of projects and redistributors that provide .desktop files to provide string content within, including internationalized content, in an appropriate form (whatever that means, contextually).

XDG is not in control of those details, nor should it be.

Best,

John Bollinger

________________________________
From: xdg <xdg-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org> on behalf of David Chmelik <dchmelik at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2024 8:06 PM
To: xdg at lists.freedesktop.org <xdg at lists.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: XDG critical grammar issue

[You don't often get email from dchmelik at gmail.com. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

Caution: External Sender. Do not open unless you know the content is safe.

On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 08:50:04 -0000 (UTC), David Chmelik wrote:
People convinced me it's a style issue, though my opinion hasn't changed
what should(n't) be titles, so I wish users that don't edit XDG code have
more choice.

Email Disclaimer: www.stjude.org/emaildisclaimer
Consultation Disclaimer: www.stjude.org/consultationdisclaimer