[Xesam] Why is vendor.maxhits read-only?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:56:56 PST 2007

On 17/12/2007, Anders Rune Jensen <anders at iola.dk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering why vendor.maxhits is read-only? Beagle can natively
> set this, so it would be really nice to be able to set this using
> Xesam as well.
>
> Thanks

No this does not make sense to be writable. Perhaps it is because the
explanation is bad. Here's another try:

vendor.maxhits is a hard implementation level on the maximum number of
hits returnable. If you write a Lucene based indexer this will be your
JVMs Integer.MAXINT other indexing frameworks might set other limits
(or none).

An example by the hand is a Google query. You can maximally retrieve
10.000 docs from a Google query - try it yourself (this has to do with
the distributed nature of the Google search engine - it is hard to get
rankings correct if you allow arbitrarily many docs to be fetched).

The fucntionality you describe is also easily implemented on the
client side. I did this in xesam-tools' xesam.ui.HitPagerModel for
example..

Cheers,
Mikkel