[Xesam] SearchDone vs server side errors

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:27:31 PDT 2008

It was noted on IRC that the search engine has no way of telling the client
"hey I screwed up" after StartSearch(s) has been invoked. The reasons for
this could be many - OOM, non-fatal bug, full moon, etc.

Currently the only real solution is to emit SearchDone and let the client
wonder why it only received 0 hits.

There are two alternatives :

1) Introduce a new signal SearchFailed(s: search_handle, i: error_code, s:
message). This will be the  API compatible solution

2) Add a new value to the SearchDone signal, changing signature to
SearchDone (s: search_handle, i: exit_code, s: message). This will break API
however

I hate 2) because it (doh) it breaks API. I love 2) because it will fit much
better in to my control flow logic. I am more or less indifferent on 1) - it
is not very clean IMHO, but it is API stable. Status quo could be acceptable
to me, but I think it could be a good idea to make better room for handling
of bugs. After all Xesam is an all new technology we are pusing in.

2 gets my vote. I am very much willing to reconsider if people are massively
annoyed by this (small) API change.

Please chime in! Cheers,
Mikkel