[Xesam] Meaning of xesam:url

Michael Albinus michael.albinus at gmx.de
Tue Aug 5 22:34:46 PDT 2008

"Fabrice Colin" <fabrice.colin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:

>> Well, that's hard to decide. Requests for standardizing the contents
>> of xesam:url has been aired a few times, but I think it is really hard
>> to achieve. For example Evolution and KMail handles email uris very
>> differently, same applies for all manner of similar apps between KDE
>> and Gnome. It would almost be a whole spec in itself to do full
>> standadization of this.
>>
>> I think you can only trust it when you have good reason to do so. Fx
>> for files, web pages, and the likes. If you have apriori knowledge of
>> your platform you can use them as well. For instance Gnome's deskbar
>> can open the emails in Evolution.
>>

> Each engine is likely to have its own particular scheme for embedded
> documents. How about separating the file URL and the internal path ?
> For instance, for "file:///.../Mail/Local Folders/Inbox/?id=240915",
> "xesam:url" would be set to "file:///.../Mail/Local Folders/Inbox" and
> "xesam:ipath" to "/?id=240915".

I agree.  However, xesam:ipath doesn't seem explicit to me, it still
doesn't tell how to interpret. I could imagine a new source entry, let's
say xesam:StructuredFile, with implied fields xesam:startPosition and
xesam:endPosition. The example above would result then in

xesam:url "file:///.../Mail/Local Folders/Inbox"
xesam:startPosition 240915
xesam:endPosition 24999

plus the xesam:Email fields.

> Fabrice