[Xesam] Meaning of xesam:url

Michael Albinus michael.albinus at gmx.de
Wed Aug 6 12:42:20 PDT 2008

"Ivan Frade" <ivan.frade at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi,

>> A xesam field, like xesam:url, shall NOT contain engine specific
>> interpretations. If it is really needed for whatever reason, they might
>> set up an own ontology, with fields like strigi:url or beagle:url.
>
> That interpretation is not engine specific, but _application_
> specific. I mean, It is the problem of the client to choose the right
> application to open/interpret that URL.
>
>  The client will call the "Email" application in the system, and if
> you have evolution mails, probably you will have evolution installed
> :)

My default "Email" application is emacs/gnus. Occasionally, I also use
evolution or thunderbird. How shall a poor xesam client know, which of
them to apply, when it sees an email hit?

Likely there must be information, which application fits best for a
given hit. But a xesam engine shall not present xesam:url in a way which
fits best to *one* of the possible candidates only - maybe such
information shall be passed via the convenience ontology, which is
already kind of application specific information, IIUC.

> Regards,
>
> Ivan

Best regards, Michael.