[Xesam] Metadata Storage Daemon

Joe Shaw joe at joeshaw.org
Fri Jan 11 07:54:33 PST 2008

Hi,

On Jan 11, 2008 8:16 AM, Jamie McCracken <jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Why do you need the timestamping? Is that just for beagle to query whats
> changed? (beagle should really use notifications from the daemon for it
> although if its not running it might miss them so I assume timestamping
> is there for backup?)

The most common case would be to listen to notifications.  However, I
think it's a mistake to assume that both systems will be running at
any given point in time such that it's not a lossy channel.  The
ability for Beagle to ask "what's changed since I last shut down?"
helps prevent this, and means that distributions and users don't have
to worry about sequencing the startup of the daemons.

Joe