[Xesam] Metadata Storage Daemon

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 13:02:18 PST 2008

On 12/01/2008, Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com> wrote:
> В сообщении от Saturday 12 January 2008 01:05:38 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
> написал(а):
> > On 11/01/2008, Sebastian Trüg <strueg at mandriva.com> wrote:
> > > Just my 2 cents:
> > > Soprano has a IMOH very good DBus API [1] for RDF storage which fulfills
> > > all 3 of your requirements below. We already use it for Nepomuk and it
> > > works great. And since Xesam is already using URIs to identify stuff why
> > > not go the extra mile to RDF storage altogether?
> >
> > I thought Soprano depended on Qt?
>
> This is not a dependency that you can't easily get rid of.
>
> > Anyways, I don't think the RDF quadruples is a good thing to expose
> > directly to the programmers who just want a quick and dirty metadata
> > storage. It is simply just too technical. That does not mean that we
> > cannot use that stuff under the hood though.
>
> Which part of ( URI, property name, property value , timestamp ) programmers
> can't understand and why should it be hidden?

Exactly my point :-)  ( URI, property name, property value , timestamp
) is fine, but exposing the general Named Graph terminology (and
features) in the API is too generic to my taste. If we say that the
triple name is always a timestamp I am ok with it.

However I thought names had to be unique. Timestamps are generally
not... Maybe I did not read that Named Graph spec properly.

Cheers,
Mikkel