[Xesam] Metadata Storage Daemon

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Tue Jan 15 06:51:29 PST 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008 00:05:38 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> On 11/01/2008, Sebastian Trüg <strueg at mandriva.com> wrote:
> > Just my 2 cents:
> > Soprano has a IMOH very good DBus API [1] for RDF storage which fulfills
> > all 3 of your requirements below. We already use it for Nepomuk and it
> > works great. And since Xesam is already using URIs to identify stuff why
> > not go the extra mile to RDF storage altogether?
>
> I thought Soprano depended on Qt?

That has nothing to do with the D-Bus interface. I thought we were looking for
an API?

> Anyways, I don't think the RDF quadruples is a good thing to expose
> directly to the programmers who just want a quick and dirty metadata
> storage. It is simply just too technical. That does not mean that we
> cannot use that stuff under the hood though.
>
> > Timestamps are handled via named graphs [2], also known as context (RDF
> > quadruples).
>
> Are you suggesting putting the mtime in the name of each RDF triple?
> If we are to support timestamps I don't think we should expose them as
> RDF quadruples because I still think that it is too much abstraction
> to present to the end user developer.

No, named graphs mean that each triple becomes a quadruple and the forth node
is used to group triples together into subgraphs. These subgraphs are then
annotated with arbitrary information such as creation date.

Cheers,
Sebastian