[Xesam] Metadata Storage Daemon

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 07:36:15 PST 2008

On 15/01/2008, Sebastian Trüg <strueg at mandriva.com> wrote:
> On Friday 11 January 2008 23:54:07 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > I have one question that I have not really thought through myself yet...
> >
> > Should the storage monitor files? Fx Should the store drop data on
> > files that are deleted? This makes good sense if we talk about
> > tagging, since I don't want to list files that had tag "foo" back when
> > they existed (apps could do a stat-dance to check existence, but i
> > would rather avoid that).
> >
> > Or more generally updating internal structures if parts of graphs are
> > modified in a way that must be propagated for the layout to remain
> > consistent (fx clean up dead links[1]).
>
> Actually in nepomuk I do this independently and I think this is solution to go
> for "these days". The storage service only provides the actual data while
> another file monitoring service handles updating it.
> This allows for an easy combination of different implementations and simple
> replacement with more advanced components. It also allows different services
> for different storage locations such as NFS or USB sticks or whatever. I
> think nowadays questions like these should very often be answered with "make
> it modular".

Yes, I tend to agree on this. The indexer is already watching files
and maybe other sources. If other programs store data in the storage
it is probably easier for them to just update it manually instead of
having to provide a monitor-plugin (which again we would have to
standardize in a cross-platform way in Xesam, eeeks).

Cheers,
Mikkel