[Xesam] Need paged search mode for xesam

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Tue May 6 09:00:43 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 11:28 -0400, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> we dont want to implement on client !
>
> this is server based paging

I kinda agree with Jamie here.

I don't really see the point in having state stored about sessions and
searches on the service, if not for paging purposes.

Maybe indeed for HitsAdded, HitsRemoved and HitsModified. But to have
full session and search infrastructure just for that ... ?

My opinion is that if paging is to be done entirely by the client, then
HitsAdded, HitsRemoved and HitsModified should have to be done by the
client too.

Then you could have a stateless service, and that would have made a lot
of sense indeed (far less complex service implementations).

Having to store state of sessions but not getting paging from the
service, sounds a bit like adding a lot for relatively few gain.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be