[Xesam] Need paged search mode for xesam

Jamie McCracken jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com
Wed May 7 07:20:33 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 16:08 +0200, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2008/5/7 Jamie McCracken <jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com>:
> >  also its grossly inconvienient for doing large pages eg 101-200 - I
> >  would have to list 100 numbers in one big array !!!!
>
> It seems exclamation marks are for free today.
> Are you complaining about putting 100 numbers in an array?
> Are you implying that this is a performance problem? If you think it's
> a userspace problem, then make a wrapper.
> The API needs to be wrapped anyway, so this is no problem. The big
> advantage here is that we have a powerful api with only a few
> functions. In other words, we're keeping it simple.

wrong you are creating big performance problems

we need ranges in order to search efficiently - having potentially
random hit IDs passe to that function means we cannot optimise (no way
to tell in advance if its a range)

Its so bad that we will add an extension GetPagedHits ourselves if no
one else wants it!

jamie