[Xesam] Need paged search mode for xesam

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Wed May 7 07:44:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 16:29 +0200, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2008/5/7 Jamie McCracken <jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com>:
> >  we need ranges in order to search efficiently - having potentially
> >  random hit IDs passe to that function means we cannot optimise (no way
> >  to tell in advance if its a range)
> >
> >  Its so bad that we will add an extension GetPagedHits ourselves if no
> >  one else wants it!
>
> You're seeing ghosts. It's trivial and very quick to check if a range
> of numbers is sequential.
> If it's sequential, you can use your optimized range function, if not,
> get the hits one by one. For the later you need a function anyway.
>
> Adding a proprietary extension over such a non-issue is rather sad.

Calling a discussed solution that we intent to move to spec as soon as
possible proprietary because somebody does not want to utilise an
extremely loosely specified hack that only works by accident*, is rather
sad.

I have better things to do with my time, really.

* You had to explain the person who wrote the specification (right?)
  that this is possible with his own specification, but he didn't know:

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> Uhm, that was not the intention :-) The hit_ids argument is an
> arbitrary array of hit ids, fx, [1, 7, 28].

I don't know what your definition of writing a robust specification is,
but this sure isn't my definition.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog