[Xesam] Need paged search mode for xesam

Jamie McCracken jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com
Wed May 7 09:06:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 16:29 +0200, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2008/5/7 Jamie McCracken <jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com>:
> >  we need ranges in order to search efficiently - having potentially
> >  random hit IDs passe to that function means we cannot optimise (no way
> >  to tell in advance if its a range)
> >
> >  Its so bad that we will add an extension GetPagedHits ourselves if no
> >  one else wants it!
>
> You're seeing ghosts. It's trivial and very quick to check if a range
> of numbers is sequential.
> If it's sequential, you can use your optimized range function, if not,
> get the hits one by one. For the later you need a function anyway.
>

> Adding a proprietary extension over such a non-issue is rather sad.

we will support both but pls bear in mind tracker is being developed for
noikia 800 so cpu usage is important. Anyway lets all calm down. Having
an optimised facility for ranged searches benefits everybody and we will
add one on the very reasonable presumption that there will be one in
xesam 2.0 (for 1.0 it will be an extension)

jamie