[Xesam] RFC: Current State of Xesam and Future Plans

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon May 19 01:56:55 PDT 2008

2008/5/17 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:

> <snip>
> Current State of Xesam Implementations?
> Afaik there are four search engines with some level of Xesam compliance (in
> alphabetic order): Beagle, Pinot, Strigi, and Tracker. If there are anybody
> on this frequency able to make informed status reports on the progress of
> the implementations, then I'd love to have a small report. Fx:
>
>  * API completeness
>  * Onto support
>  * XML Query support
>  * User Search Lang. support
>  * Roadmap to feature completeness (of full Xesam 1.0 support)

Ok, might as well give my own perception of our situation then :-) My own
limited knowledge will hopefully provoke someone to elaborate...

Beagle:
 * API completeness: Complete
 * Onto support: Support for a limited subset of the onto. Most common
fields can be expected to work.
 * XML Query support: Check
 * User Search Lang. support: Actually just use the standard Beagle search
language, which is close enough to the Xesam USL so that users might never
notice the difference
 * Roadmap: Anticipate Xesam developments and quality of the API. If deemed
good move the xesam-adaptor into Beagle's core

Pinot:
 * API completeness: No Xesam API yet
 * Onto support: None
 * XML Query support: Check
 * User Search Lang. support: Check
 * Roadmap: ?

Strigi:
 * API completeness: The code seems to be there, but I have not been
succesful using it yet...
 * Onto support: I see the ontology in the Strigi source tree but I don't
know if it is used
 * XML Query support: Check (sharing code with Pinot)
 * User Search Lang. support: Check (sharing code with Pinot)
 * Roadmap: Bug fixes

Tracker:
 * API completeness: Being written as we speak/email
 * Onto support: Also in progress at this moment
 * XML Query support: Supports RDF-query which is very close to Xesam's QL,
porting should be swift and without mercy ;-)
 * User Search Lang. support: No
 * Roadmap: Support Xesam for next major release. Lots of people are working
on this

Cheers,
Mikkel