[Xesam] dbus api, where is it?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:25:03 PDT 2008

2008/9/24 Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm home too. I've started on a small dummy xesam service for testing
> the new api before doing the full on strigi implementation.
> The attached python file is quite useless since I do not have
> preliminary spec here, but it does show how do pass the humungous
> argument list in such a way that introspection leads to the proper
> results.
>
> Can you give me a pointer to the upcoming spec?

I would first of all like to apologize that I have not posted a write
up of the hackfest results yet, but real life has been taking
precedence until now. I hope to post it later today.

That API drafts as it stands can be viewed on
http://xesam.org/main/Drafts/NewSearchApi. Beware that there has been
a few changes since you last looked at it - surprise :-)

I generally try to collect all drafts under
http://xesam.org/main/Drafts and people should feel free to do the
same.

The key change is that we have discarded the handles and use real dbus
objects instead. It is a bit backwards that the client pass in an
object path that the search should live under, but there is nothing in
DBus that prevents this to work. I have some sample Python code doing
this I cooked up on the way home from the hackfest (ping me if you
want it).

Also the monitor idea has been replaced by a hybrid Search object that
can do monitoring if told to. This was because setting up the monitor
and search in two calls where racy.

The benefits of this approach are:

 - 1 roundtrip per hit request
 - Use DBus objects instead of handles
 - Not racy

I was fearing that DBus bindings would have issues with this approach,
but on further reflection they really shouldn't (and indeed that is
the case for the Python bindings).

> PS: suuasa(ssb)aayaay!
> Maybe before going to the canary islands we should come up with at
> least one function with signature ayayayay!

At the rate the spec has been changing it wouldn't surprise me :-)

Mikkel