[Xesam] Request for an overview

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 23:10:29 PDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 06:15:58 Evgeny Egorochkin wrote:
> >   o. The TriG files and the directory layout for them
> >   o. A file describing the dependency tree of the ontologies
>
> Probably worth a separate discussion. Overall I object this because it
> can't be made to work 100% of time: ontologies can have circular
> dependencies, you might want to accept 3rd-party ontologies, such as
> applications installing data extractor plugins. Better load all ontologies
> at once and validate at once or whatever you want to do with them.
>
> At least in C++ it's trivial to first populate a dataset like
> map<string,map<string,set<string> > > and then extract whatever ontology
> bits you find useful.

Forgot to mention another point. If you load all ontology files at once you
have an ability to "patch" ontologies to suit your needs such as specifying
whether to do fulltext indexing for properties, providing some backend-specific
hints and whatnot.

This way you still can customize ontologies somewhat and yet keep using shared
ontologies package instead of dragging your own customized version along.

-- Evgeny