[Xesam] oscaf/xesam ontology merge: who is going to maintain/edit what?

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Thu Jun 4 09:18:22 PDT 2009

ok, now as we have agreed to merge and work together as one big group of
opensource/standardization folks,

who is going to maintain/edit which ontology?

using my feeling for ontology management and my open source experience,
I think we could need answers to some questions:

as with every good project, I would like to know the names of people who
feel responsible to work for the quality. I would like to see an
ontology maintainer/editor for each ontology.
I would see this as role comparable to an open source project
administrator/maintainer, the one guy who reads the commits and kicks
butts when unit tests fail, etc.
Of course, it would be better to see two or three maintainers per
ontology, but lets start with one, or?

to distribute work, it would be clever to have at least one maintainer
per ontology.
who of the previous posters feels responsible for which ontology?

This is exactly as we have been doing it for the last three years, no
surprises here so far.

up to today, this is the page with the maintainers names:
http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/OntologyMaintenance

where do you think we should move this page to?
I thought both here:
http://www.oscaf.org/ontologies
and there:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/oscaf/

I volunteer to continue maintaining PIMO,
but as so many people are interested in NIE/NMO, NCO, NFO, NID3,
I would like to see someone from the Xesam guys to join here with Antoni.
so I step back maintaininng the NIE stack.

afaik, phreedom could take my place there, that would be good.

but since now move to xesam/freedesktop, I don't know where this should be.
I feel more home in TRAC, but am happy to learn something new.
Please give me an account and point me to the "welcome to freedesktop"
page explaining how things work, I only know the eclipse.org and sf.net
policies.

Also I would like to get an account on the project management system we
are going to use and instructions how to file my tickets, I have a
backlog of one ticket for pimo:
https://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=component&component=ontology-pimo&order=priority

in the case freedesktop doesn't have anything like this, I would propose
to fall back to http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/oscaf/, as we
(phreedom, strueg, me) thought we will do back in february, but I would
guess it just takes time to learn how it works on freedesktop.

curious to learn the itnerna there,

best
Leo

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313