[Xesam] oscaf: "change - yes we can"

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Wed Jun 17 02:41:17 PDT 2009

Hello Xesam,

inside OSCAF, Siggi Handschuh and I have been talking what we need to
change right now to make OSCAF an organiztion that can be used by us to
help manage the ontologies.

We all agree inside the organization that OSCAF is good to:
* legally own the domain semanticdesktop.org
* manage servers and provide servers for oscaf.org and
semanticdesktop.org for domain management
* provide a contact point for industry to use the standards and to join
the process

I think you all also agreed that this is a good role for OSCAF.

But I want more than that, I want that people working on ontologies
(=you, Phreedom, Urho, ...) join OSCAF to have a say and a vote on the
servers, the domains, and all activities.
As we work on the ontologies together, we also could manage the domains
and server together.

There was a bad feeling about OSCAF, but now we want to change the OSCAF
charter and website to make it the organization that can help us legally
controlling the domains together.

Inside OSCAF, we agree that this is fine and I mentioned that "30.000
EUR joining fee is pissing off people", Siggi Handschuh from DERI answered:
> I also think that the membership fee issue is rather a
> misunderstanding or miscommunication, than a real barrier. For
> example, I don't understand your 30.000 EUR argument, since this sum
> is mentioned *nowhere* at the OSCAF side [1]. The highest fee we
> mention on the web site is  5,000 for a profit organisation with more
> than 10 million gross revenue.
>
> Saying that, I think we are absolutely flexible to change the fee
> structure, so that we can remove this assumed mental barrier.
>
> DERI, DFKI and KDE are already members. What do you think is further
> needed to get Xesam and NOKIA on board?
So - you guys - what does it need to make OSCAF into the organization
you would join to have a say about ontolgoies, servers, etc?

I have admin rights for OSCAF.org and I can change the website and we
have no problem changing the charter of OSCAF to make it into the
organization it needs to be,
feedback welcome

best
Leo
(I may answer slowly, currently in the process of moving all my shit to
Vienna from Kaiserslautern, quite a busy thing)

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313